About Me

My photo
I am currently in my 3rd year at The University of Glamorgan, studying Costume Construction for Stage and Screen. My business e-mail is lauren.english72@gmail.com. Feel free to contact me regarding work or for more information.

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Janet Arnold, 1902-3 Day Dress.

For this project, We had to chose and accurately re-create a costume from one of Janet Arnold's three Patterns of Fashion books. I chose to make the 1902-3 Day Dress, which can be found at The Gallery of English Costume, Manchester.

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/our-other-venues/platt-hall-gallery-of-costume/


I went to visit the actual dress, and to extensive notes, (five hours worth to be exact!) and hundreds of photos of every single detail, in order to enable me to re-create the dress, using accurate techniques, as accurately as possible. Yes I realise I said the word accurate a lot then!

I chose the fabric in accordance with the original, it was the correct fabric, the correct weighting, and a slightly different colour to the original fabric, but hey, you can't have everything and two out of three isn't bad!

I did really enjoy this project, even though I was majorly stressed for most of it! My favourite part was the buttonhole stitched eyelets! I am very proud of them :)

I still need to add the Fleur De Lys decoration, but when I find time to do it, I will put the photographs on here!

This Project has helped me a lot in my construction processes, and I have learnt many new skills throughout this project to use in future costumes!






None of the photographic material or information may be used or reproduced without the prior permission of Lauren Elise English. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm just starting this project at uni and this is also the dress I've chosen to study. Do you have any tips or advice when working with the pattern? your recreation looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete